As promised, here’s the first of hopefully many more recipes to come. This is one of my most favorite dishes. It is known in Tagalog as “Ginataang Alimango” (crab in coconut milk). My mom used to cook this for us albeit that often because crab is quite pricey. Nevertheless, it is one of my most favorite home-cooked meals. Enjoy!
- cooked Dungeness crab (1-2), shell removed; crab butter is optional per your preference
- cooked shrimp
- chopped squash (e.g. acorn), may or may not be peeled
- jalapeño or serano pepper
- coconut milk (1.5 cans of 400 ml each, total 600 ml); add more if using 2 crabs
- green beans
- garlic (1 head)
- shallot (1)
- tomato (1-2)
- fish sauce or sea salt
- peeled and smashed ginger root (1/2 root)
- cooking oil
And lastly, this is the most important ingredient: lots of Bob Marley songs to inspire you!!
- Saute garlic in a big frying pan.
- Once garlic is golden in color, add shallot
- Once shallot is soft (1 min or so), add tomato
- Cook for 2-3 mins then add peeled and smashed ginger
- Add squash and stir for about 3 mins
- Add 1/4 cup water and the coconut milk, bring to boil then cover and turn down the heat. Let it simmer for about 17-20 minutes depending on how soggy you want the squash to be
- Add the green beans, shrimp and the serrano or jalapeño pepper. Adjust how hot you want it to be according to taste
- Season to taste, use sea salt or fish sauce.
- Serve with white Jasmine rice
- My version of Khao Soi pronounced ‘Cow Soy’ – all the way from Northern Thailand (islifearecipe.com)
- Red pumpkin curry (hellofresh.com.au)
- If you LOVE Thai food like me – make it at home! Slow Cooker Red Curry Beef (fridaynightgourmet.wordpress.com)
- Coconut Milk Vanilla Smoothie (bestfruitsmoothies.com)